Wednesday 26 March 2008

First post time...

In autumn 2006 I weighed not far off 16 stone. I started what turned out to be a bit of a mission to lose weight and improve my fitness. I started calorie counting and virtually cut out alcohol for a long time. At first I did a lot of Spinning at the gym near work. After a while I started going to BodyPump classes too. Over the next 6 few months, I lost a lot of weight and my fitness improved dramatically.

I wasn't until March 2007 that I started running. I had seen a flyer for a new local 10K run - Clandon Park 10K - which was taking place in mid April. I thought "I could do that" and entered. I did a few weeks of training and had a vague aim of completing the 10K in under an hour. I did it - 59:06 or something along those lines. I was hooked.

I tried running once or twice before - I recall running near my parent's house in my late teens but I really didn't enjoy it and I didn't really give it another chance.

Since March 2007, I've run in many races - lots of off road 10K trail races, a half marathon, etc. I've had a steady weight of a little under 13 stone for the last 6 months or so and I feel great. I run around 20 miles a week - I'd like to do more but most of my training runs are quick 4 milers at lunchtimes and the occasional longer run at the weekend when I can fit it in around family commitments.

0 comments: